Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Easy KeyLime Pie

Ok so my mother's version of this has a whole crust recipe--which is really good, but also overly ambitious if I'm making it on a weeknight (which I am this evening). So I'm just going to pass along the deliciously creamy filling and that if you also are less interested in making your own crust that you invest in a reduced fat graham cracker crust that's already pre-made (baking aisle). And then it just takes 10 minutes! Bobby was like "is that it??" He'd barely just gotten the mixer out before it was time to put it away again. But should anyone want the crust part, post a comment, I'll add an adendum.

Anyway, the trick with this keylime pie is that it needs to be made ahead of time, so we're not eating it tonight. Instead, tomorrow I'll be posting a new recipe for Honey Chipotle Pork Tenderloin with Watermelon Salsa--and we'll be having keylime pie with that! So check back, that's coming soon :-)


Easy KeyLime Pie

1 graham cracker pie crust
1 container of fat free cool whip
8oz cream cheese (1/3 less fat)
3/4c KeyLime Juice (note the original calls for 1/2 but Bobby insists on extra keylime-y-ness)
4 egg yolks (and we recommend saving the whites for breakfast the next day or something)
14oz Eagle Brand Milk (Reduced or Fat Free)

In a mixer or food processor (I don't recommend ever trying to hand-mix anything with cream cheese), beat together the cream cheese, Eagle Brand Milk, and egg yolks. Slowly pour in the KeyLime juice while your mixing. Once you are lump-free, pour into the graham cracker crust, put the top back on it, and put it in the fridge overnight. Add with a hefty "dallop" of Cool Whip when serving. Don't forget to defrost the Cool Whip.

On a side note I did make an actual dinner tonight--beef and broccoli stir fry, and it was absolutely delicious. I've started making my own stir-fry sauces out of whatever happens to be in the fridge and looks Asian (sesame oil, soy sauce, always Hoison sauce, oyster sauce, ground ginger if I've been to Whole Foods that week, etc.) so those will be more difficult to type out, and since T&C are probably the only people reading and Taylor doesn't eat broccoli, this particular one won't be worth it! But it was really good :-) I'll type out my sweet n sour pork sauce next time I make that.

2 comments: