Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Shepherd's Pie

OK so I decided I wanted to make Shepherd's Pie. Beef? Good. Mashed Potatoes? Good. You get the idea.

So I went through every cookbook I have, and nearly every single one had a version of Shepherd's Pie. Some had lists of ingredients all the way down the page, others used completely foreign things like
rutabagas (seriously? I don't even really know that those are). Some had interesting variations with cubed steak instead of ground beef, or the addition of red wine--no complaints there. But in the end, since I'd never made it before, I just wanted a quick and simple variation--so foodnetwork.com and Rachael Ray to my rescue! You know, she gets a lot of flak for not being a "chef", but as far as I'm concerned, neither am I! And if I can make it in 30 minutes... well then, that's just a delightful bonus.

Oh, and if you're wondering why I'm only making this with beef (some versions will mix ground beef and lamb, others will only be lamb)--it's quite simply because I won't touch the stuff.
Mary had a little lamb...little lamb... Think Kate Hudson in How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days.

Shepherd's Pie

2 lbs potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 Tbs sour cream or softened cream cheese
1 egg yolk
1/2 cup cream (or low sodium chicken broth)
1 Tbs olive oil
1 lb ground beef
1 carrot, peeled and chopped
1 onion, chopped
2 Tbs butter
2 Tbs flour
1 cup beef stock or broth
2 teaspoons Worcestershire, eyeball it
1/2 cup frozen peas
Salt, pepper, and paprika

Pre-heat oven to broil or 425-450 (we don't have very many dishes we can broil). Boil potatoes in salted water until tender, about 12 minutes. Drain potatoes and pour them into a bowl. Combine sour cream, egg yolk and cream. Add the cream mixture into potatoes and mash until potatoes are almost smooth.


While potatoes are boiling, brown and crumble ground beef in a large skillet. Season meat with salt and pepper. Once browned, add chopped carrot and onion to the skillet. Cook veggies with meat 5 minutes, stirring frequently. In a second small skillet over medium heat cook butter and flour together 2 minutes. Whisk in broth and Worcestershire sauce. Thicken gravy 1 minute. Add gravy to meat and vegetables. Stir in peas.


Fill a small rectangular casserole with meat and vegetable mixture. Spoon potatoes over meat evenly. Top potatoes with paprika and bake until potatoes are evenly browned.


Like all casseroles, it may or may not turn out very pretty...but here we go! Just remember, beef? Good. Mashed Potatoes? Good.


No comments:

Post a Comment