Monday, December 14, 2009

Gingerbread

I happen to think my gingerbread is delicious. Bobby on the other hand can be found eating fig newtons and Popsicles instead of the gingerbread. It has me doubting my abilities! But this recipe from my mom is a very good, simple holiday favorite that will have your nosy coworkers eying your breakfast saying "What's that...?" which really means "Why didn't you bring me some?" And the answer is, because I plan to eat it all!



Gingerbread

16oz apple sauce (I used No Sugar Added)
2 tsp baking soda
1 cup dark molasses (I had to ask the Kroger lady where it was!)
2 tsp powdered ginger
1/2 tsp salt
4 eggs
3 cups flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1-1/3c sugar (or 2/3 cup Splenda)
2/3 cup vegetable oil

Preheat the oven to 325. In a medium saucepan bring the applesauce to a boil (who knew you could boil applesauce? it just never occurred to me). Once boiling, stir in molasses and baking soda. Set aside to cool. In a medium mixing bowl, mix flour, salt, and all spices. Then in the larger bowl of either you electric mixer, or whatever bowl you use your handmixer with, beat the eggs until they're light in color. Gradually beat in sugar and continue beating until it's thick--then gradually add in the oil. Alternately fold in flour mixture and applesauce mixture. Once well blended, pour into a PAMed tube pan or bunt pan. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes, then let it cool for 15 minutes before turning it onto a cooling rack or beautiful Williams-Sonoma cake plate courtesy of T&C--thanks guys!

Sing with me now..."My gingerbread, gingerbread, gingerbread rocks...Gingerbread Yum and Gingerbread Fun...
"

2 comments: