Friday, December 11, 2009

Chicken Delicious

Bobby and I are accepting new name suggestions for this dish. It's not that it wasn't delicious, it was a definite Keeper, but just not fans of the title. So let me know if you think of something.

I don't eat a lot of chicken. I actively avoided it for most of 2008 and well into 2009. But I'm coming back around. So when I do find a good chicken recipe (
read: one that masks the taste of chicken), I'm more than happy to share! Chicken-people should cherish these rare posts. Thanks to my AllRecipes.com DinnerSpinner iPhone App for this one!

Chicken Delicious (new name coming soon)

2-5 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 Tbs lemon juice
Pinch of Celery Salt
Pepper to taste
1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup (reduced sodium)
1 can Cream of Celery Soup (didn't even know they made that...)
1/3 cup Cooking Sherry
Hefty handful of shredded Parmesan

Cut chicken breasts in half (the original recipe calls for this, but you can probably leave them whole if you prefer), wash and pat dry with paper towel. Spray inside of slow cooker (yay slow cookers! and if I haven't made a plug for Reynolds Slow Cooker Liners, they're wonderful), and place chicken halfs around the bottom. Sprinkle with lemon juice, celery salt, and pepper. In a medium mixing bowl, mix 2 cans of soup and sherry together. Pour over chicken breasts, and top generously with Parmesan cheese. Heat on LOW for 8-10 hours (8 hours for fewer breasts, on up to 10 for many breasts--I did 3 breasts at 8-8.5 hours), or HIGH for 4-5 hours.

I recommend serving over rice or quinoa, but it's not necessary. It was really good. And when I got home from work, I sauteed a box of sliced mushrooms in sherry, and added them to the slow cooker--stirring them into the sauce while I cooked the quinoa. I would also note that the parmesan cheese changes color and consistency when it's in the slow cooker that long. I was freaked out that there was some stringy thing happening to the chicken (because I'm already paranoid about it), and halfway through dinner realized it was the cheese! Shown above with steamed squash and zucchini with a little EVOO and Italian Seasoning sprinkled on it.

2 comments: