Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Dijon Crusted Salmon

I just watched Antoine's proposal, so forgive me if there's typos from my teary, blurred vision!

My mother (who does not believe in overpowering salmon with extra flavor) is probably sticking her tongue out in disgust and already elected not to read this blasphemous salmon post--so to that I respond with "It was Atlantic salmon! I have to do something with it!" And really, this would be good with tilapia or other white fish too. I'm sure there are many salmon-eating novices (like Bobby) out there who don't think there's a difference between Pacific and Atlantic salmon, and I'm sure the fish-lady at Whole Foods rues the day she asked me if
I knew the difference (Tshca!) So if you're like me, and want to eat fish in the "off-season" to stay healthy and get those Omega-3s or whatever, this is a good way to add some flavor to an otherwise bland salmon fillet.

Dijon Crusted Salmon

2 salmon fillets
4(ish) Tbs of Dijon mustard
1 cup Panko crumbs or other breadcrumbs
1 handful shredded Parmesan cheese
Dried parsley
Salt & Pepper

Pre-heat oven to 425. When baking salmon or other fish, I like to peel off a 1'x1' square of aluminum foil for each fillet. PAM the aluminum foil. Place an uncooked fillet in the center of each foil square, and curve the edges of the square up to make a box or boat for the fish (this prevents juices or seasoning from sticking to a baking sheet) and put the foil boats onto a baking sheet. Use a butter knife to spread the Dijon generously over the top of each fillet (about 2 Tbs per piece of fish). In a small mixing bowl, combine Panko, Parmesan, a few sprinkles of dried parsley, and a few pinches of salt & pepper. Using a generous handful or by pouring from the bowl, top each fillet of fish with the seasoning. Bake for 30-35 minutes depending on the thickness.

Great with a side of broccoli--my personal fave!--and a whole grain baguette. This is also a good way to do pork chops in the oven. Tomorrow is a chicken recipe! They're rare, get excited.

3 comments:

  1. okay, PeaPod...you win this one! Sounds really good...even Dad said so! I'll try it the next time he wants salmon in the NW off-season!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I win! it's pretty good :) And I forgot to mention that if done with pork chops to change out the parsley for rosemary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'm going to try this one or the chicken this wekeend! I can't normally eat a whole salmon fillet (I know weird...) but want to get into it so this would be perfect! Also what was that salmon pasta dish your mom made for us? I loved that...future posting?

    ~Rose

    ReplyDelete