Thursday, February 10, 2011

Superfood Salad

I'm obsessed with this salad. Obsessed. It's like someone (or my AllRecipes.com Dinner Spinner app) took all of my favorite things and put them in a salad. This recipe is clearly intended to feed 4 people, and Bobby and I shamelessly ate the whole thing. But when you're eating something that is so packed with superfoods, and they're so YUMMY, that it's just impossible to stop! It was pretty quick for a Tuesday night, too.

Basically, we've had lots of good dinners this week, but nothing will top this salad in my mind.



Superfood Salad

2 salmon fillets, grilled
2 Tbs butter
pepper to taste
4 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced (I just used the whole container)
12 grape tomatoes, halved
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
a few handfuls of spinach, washed and dried, enough to make a salad (original recipe actually calls for leaf lettuce, but spinach is so much better for you)
1 avocado - peeled, pitted, and cubed
5 sprigs fresh cilantro, chopped
1 fresh jalapeno pepper, chopped
2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar (we were out so I used some Champagne dressing)
1 ounce feta cheese, crumbled (I used what was left in our container, probably more like 3 oz)

While grilling salmon (or use leftovers), saute mushrooms in butter over medium heat until tender. In a large salad bowl add Spinach, salmon, tomatoes, mushrooms, avocado, cilantro, jalepeno, and feta. Sprinkle generously with pepper. Toss with olive oil and white vinegar (or other type of vinaigrette you've got on hand) and serve immediately.

Really, there are so many things going on in this salad, that I can understand the doubt about them combining well. But they combine like heaven in my salad bowl and I'm mad at myself because I've had this recipe for over a year and never tried it until this week! But the important thing is I have it now :-)

We finished the evening with homemade chocolate chip cookies (see January 2010 for recipe).

2 comments:

  1. Anne, I love that you have a kitchen blog with all these great recipes. How far you have come from the girl I knew in high school!! You could barely handle break and bake cookies :)! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. love your recipe salad, Great Pics and Blog.

    Farida
    http://fbfresh.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete