Saturday, September 19, 2009

Southwestern Salad w/ Chicken

The only bad thing to say about this recipe is it makes a TON! And of course, salad is a little difficult to save. But it's absolutely delicious and something fresh and light as we go into Fall. I should also note that my mom doesn't make it with chicken, so it can be a completely vegetarian-friendly dish all on it's own. BUT since Bobby has his whole "no-meat-no-meal" philosophy, I throw in some diced chicken tenders. Oh, and my mom layers it too and it's really very pretty. I just dump and pour--but either way use the largest salad bowl you have.

Southwestern Salad (w/ Chicken)

1 head of romaine lettuce, shredded
5 plum tomatoes, chopped
15 oz can of black beans, rinsed and drained
1 small purple onion, chopped (or bunch of green onions, chopped)
80z of shredded Mexican cheese blend
1 lb of grilled chicken tenders, chopped
15 oz can of Mexican corn with green and red peppers, drained
6 oz can of sliced ripe olives, drained (we have to omit these for Bobby)
2 cups of crushed Baked Nacho Doritos

Cook chicken tenders on George Foreman, regular grill, or chop and heat in skillet. Layer in this order, or "dump and pour". Top with Cilantro-Lime Vinaigrette (see below).

Cilantro-Lime Vinaigrette

1/3 c fresh cilantro, chopped
1/2 c olive oil
1 tsp sugar (I use Splenda)
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 c lime juice
1/2 c sour cream
1/2 tsp salt

Ideally, process all ingredients in a food processor or blender until smooth. I usually don't read all the way to the end of my mom's instructions and just mix together in a Pyrex measuring cup. The downside of that is the cilantro stays large, but I LOVE cilantro, so I'm OK with it.

Top salad with dressing and either serve in layers or stir stir stir with really large or heavy duty salad tongs. I need some. Stocking-stuffer hint.

1 comment:

  1. It's also worth noting that Bobby pulled a complete Les Childress move with this salad and instead of throwing the leftovers OUT like I requested, instead I find them days later in an enormous Tupperware container at the bottom of the veggie crisper--which of course, he forgot all about.

    ReplyDelete