Thursday, March 19, 2009

Mom's Carrot Cake

Thank you for all of my birthday wishes! And in honor of my birthday, I was going to make Naynie's Chocolate Cake, only to discover--I DON'T HAVE THE RECIPE! Which is probably for the best, because it's not like Bobby and I need to eat a whole cake, right? So instead I'm going to share my favorite cake that I DO have the recipe for!

Carrot Cake

2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
2 cups shredded carrots
2 cups flaked coconut
2 1/4 cups flour
8 oz can of crushed pineapple, drained
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
2 cups sugar
2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp salt
3 eggs

Combine sugar, oil, eggs and vanilla in a large bowl and blend with a wooden spoon. Stir in all dry ingredients and mix well. Fold in carrots, coconut, and pecans or walnuts. Bake at 350 for about 50 minutes (use a cake-tester or toothpick to stick in the middle and ensure it's fully cooked). When it's completely cool, frost with the Cream Cheese Frosting recipe below:

Cream Cheese Frosting

3 oz cream cheese, room temperature
1 1/2 to 2 cups of powdered sugar
1/8 cup of milk
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 cup melted butter
1 tsp vanilla

Combine all except powdered sugar and blend well with mixer. Beat in enough sugar to make the mixture spreadable.

Happy Birthday to me :-) We're going to the Melting Pot...yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment