Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Gooey Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars

It's been a busy Fall at the Gibbons house with no signs of slowing down until maybe Thanksgiving!  And although I didn't get all of the 'Summer' recipes up that I wanted to post, I can at least make a better effort with some Fall Favorites :-)

These pumpkin cheesecake bars came from a recipe I got from a co-worker, who got them from her uncle, I think.  The first time I made them it was a 'blind' dessert--meaning the very first time I made them, I made them to serve them to others!  Which I wouldn't normally do, but I needed a Fall dessert for Bobby's 1st Annual Surgery Fall Fiesta.  For reference, the 'Fall' dessert was this, and the 'Fiesta' dessert was keylime pie.  They were a huge hit last year, and we made them again at the end of September for the 2nd Annual Surgery Fall Fiesta.  This year I served them with homemade whipped cream (on the side), but they are great on their own too.

And the best part is...you can make them ahead of time!  They might actually be better on Day 2, after they've chilled.  While I'm personally not a huge fan of pumpkin, my favorite part of these is the crumbly crust--delicious!


Gooey Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars

  • 1 (16oz) pkg pound cake mix
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 Tbs butter, softened
  • 4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
  • 8oz cream cheese, softened
  • 14oz can sweetened condensed milk
  • 16oz can pumpkin
Pre-heat the oven to 350.  In a large bowl combine the cake mix, 1 egg, butter, and 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice until crumbly.  I don't use my mixer for this, I usually combine it by hand with a large fork because I've noticed if I use a whisk, it gets all stuck in the middle.

Press the crust into the bottom of a PAMed 15x10 jelly roll pan, or I use a 9x13 cake pan.  

Using my mixer, in another bowl, I beat the cream cheese until it's fluffy.  Gradually beat in the sweetened condensed milk, then beat in the remaining 2 eggs, pumpkin, and remaining 2 tsp of pumpkin pie spice.  Mix well and pour evenly over the crust.

Bake 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick (or similar tool) comes out clean when you test it.  Let it cool (I give it about an hour on a wire wrack), then chill covered in the fridge.  When cool, you can top with whipped cream or cool whip--or leave alone--and serve!

Anne's Whipped Cream  (no photo today, sorry!)

  • 1.5 cups whipping cream
  • 5 Tbs. powdered sugar
Using electric mixer, beat whipping cream until frothy.  Add sugar, while continuing to beat the cream. Continue until the cream has reached your desired level of 'firm'.  Takes just a few minutes, and fresh is always best!

1 comment:

  1. Anne... I can't wait to try this!! I just LOVE pumpkin desserts! :)

    ReplyDelete