Sunday, July 29, 2012

Lemon Pie

There were plenty of things I could have and should have been doing this weekend. There were plenty of things we planned on and talked about doing.  What did we actually do?  Sit in front of the couch and watch every minute of the Olympics on the DVR.  We are huge Olympics nerds.  We even watched all the cycling.  So I figure, while I am parked on the couch, I could at the very least post a new recipe in between swimming finals.  Here we go:


Make no mistake--this is the best lemon pie.  Ever.  I think Bobby's already had me make this 3 times this summer!  He says he prefers it, even to key lime pie, which--if you know Bobby--is fairly shocking.  But it really is delicious.  It's pretty simple, so I don't encourage cutting any corners, because it's not a complicated recipe--and I think hand squeezing the lemon juice, doing homemade whipped cream, and a homemade graham cracker crust...that's what makes the pie!


And I promise it isn't tough--because if it was tough, I wouldn't do it :-)





Anne's Best Lemon Pie Ever

  • 1 and 1/4 c graham cracker crumbs (I use the Reduced Fat Honey Maid--the only 'corner' I cut)
  • 2 and a 1/2 Tbs powdered sugar
  • 4 Tbs butter, melted
  • 6 egg yolks
  • 2 (14 oz) cans sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 cup fresh lemon juice (~5 lemons)
  • 1 cup whipping cream
  • 2 Tbs powdered sugar


Pre-heat oven to 350.


Use a food processor or blender to crumble the graham crackers into crumbs.  Inside the box of graham crackers they'll be divided into three little packets.  You'll use a whole packet and then 2-3 crackers from a second packet.  Processing them takes seconds, and it's easier to press into a crust if the crumbs are really fine.  In a medium sized bowl, mix the crumbs with the 2.5Tbs powdered sugar.  Add the melted butter until well blended, and then press the mixture into the bottom and the sides of a 9in pie plate. Try to press the crumbs into an even amount--something I'm still struggling with perfecting.  I usually pour them all in the middle and then work them up the sides of the pie plate, taking care not to make the edges too thick.


Bake the crust for 10 minutes, and then cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes.While baking and cooling the crust, whisk together the egg yolks, sweetened condensed milk, and lemon juice.  As mentioned, you cannot beat fresh squeezed lemon juice.  It takes a while to get a cup--one lemon makes about 1/4c juice, and I like to get a 5th lemon just to be safe and if I don't use it, I garnish with it.  Use a wire mesh strainer to get rid of lemon seeds and any pulp that accumulates.  


Pour pie filling into the crust after it's cooled, and bake  at 350 for 15 minutes. Afterwards, cool on a wire rack for an hour, before covering and placing in the fridge for  4 hours to chill.  Honestly if you can chill it closer to 8, that is significantly better. 


Right before serving, use an electric mixer (yay KitchenAid!) and the wire-whisk attachment to make the whipped cream.  Beat the whipping cream on high speed until foamy.  Gradually add the remaining 2Tbs powdered sugar.  Stop beating when the whipped cream has 'soft peaks'--but I like it a little more firm, so I beat mine until it's reasonably sold (as seen above).  Garnish--if desired--and serve!  Soooo yummy!


No comments:

Post a Comment