Saturday, May 12, 2012

Spicy black bean and turkey burritos

When making a 'come-back' it's probably wise to post interesting or at least aesthetically pleasing recipes. Now I wouldn't say this was necessarily UN-intersting, but I'll admit the photo may not be the best representation of the following yumminess  (But isn't that always the way with Mexican food?  Think about it--it's the only genre of food that can get away looking like it does, and taste soooo good).  So while I could have gone with a more interesting or unusual-sounding recipe, or something that had a really pretty photo--I figured the focus of the blog is intended to be quick meals that are reasonably healthy--and that's exactly what this dinner is!

It's no secret Bobby and I love our Mexican food, and when we're really wanting something tasty and spicy, but not too heavy--this is our go-to recipe.  The recipe below I'm going to call a 'base'.  Because it is originally taken from Kraft Food's Layered Enchilada Bake, and after I made that recipe a few times, I discovered it would be a great 'base' for burritos or even taco salad.  Of course the original recipe calls for beef I think.  And obviously it's delicious with beef.  But swapping for ground turkey is really easy in this recipe in particular because it's so flavorful that you don't need beef.

I decided against a picture of the 'final product' because really, all burritos kind of look alike...and instead here's a photo of the 'base' in the skillet.




Spicy Black Bean and Turkey Burritos


  • lb ground turkey breast
  • 1/2-1 onion, chopped
  • 2 cups salsa (I have started using this recipe from Pioneer Woman to make my own)
  • 1 can low sodium black beans, rinsed
  • 1/4 c Italian dressing (recipe obviously calls for Kraft, I use Wishbone Light)
  • 1/2 package low sodium taco seasoning
  • 1 cup reduced fat sour cream
  • Top with shredded cheese and lettuce


Spray a large skillet with Pam, and add crumbled ground turkey and chopped onion.  Cook, stirring frequently until turkey is thoroughly cooked and onion is soft.  Add salsa, black beans, Italian dressing, and taco seasoning.  Stir until well mixed and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and let simmer for 30 minutes on the stove.  Add in sour cream to base to tone-down the spice in the mixture, or you can add sour cream to the burritos as a topping--your call!  Scoop into warm tortillas and add toppings.  It usually makes enough for leftovers too!


No comments:

Post a Comment